FACT: .XYZ Outsold .COM by Over 1 Million Names in June
Posted by Daniel Negari in Featured, gTLDs
2016 has been a GREAT year for XYZ. It started shortly after a summary judgement granted by the federal judge who ruled in favor of XYZ over Verisign, and our growth has not slowed down since.
As a registry operator, XYZ’s portfolio of domain extensions has expanded from three offerings (.xyz, .College, and .Rent) to nine with the acquisitions of .Security and .Protection, .Theatre, and .Cars, .Car, and .Auto, which all launched in January. Without reserved or variably priced names, businesses have been able to secure keywords, city names, and other highly sought after domains in these premium namespaces to expand their online presence. For example, Symantec not only registered Symantec.Security, but it also acquired Data.Protection, Endpoint.Security, and Network.Security, among others. Key Brand Entertainment (KBE) secured a number of domains ranging from Broadway.Theatre to Tickets.Theatre.
SMBs have been the one of the biggest benefactors of our new domains. With several hundred thousand dollars already invested in enduser education, dealerships like Arizona.Cars now rank #1 organically for competitive search terms like “Arizona used cars” – ahead of industry heavyweights like Carfax, Autotrader, and Car Gurus.
Our advanced marketing strategies has also led to a number of innovators adopting our domains for their new businesses and products. FMC.Auto, a new company founded by a former VP of BMW and President of Infiniti, is building “the car of the future” with backing by Tencent. MeetOlli.Auto, which has been featured in USA Today, Fortune, and many other media outlets, is the 3D-printed autonomous shuttle undergoing testing on US streets.
June was by far the highest growth period .xyz – and possibly the entire internet – has ever seen. We incurred around a 7 figure ICANN fee alone for registration fees alone to host the biggest sale the internet has ever seen. In total, over 220 registrars / resellers and their customers celebrated our 2 year anniversary by registering over 3.6 MILLION .xyz domains in June – over 1 MILLION (45% greater) more than what was registered in .com during the same term (3,633,650 .xyz creates vs 2,507,767 .com creates).
The most remarkable part of our unprecedented growth has been the advanced level of abuse mitigation to enforce XYZ’s zero-tolerance abuse policy. In partnership with many of the industry leaders in the security sector, our Anti-Abuse Team is able to proactively monitor, detect in near-realtime, and suspend domains that are being used for spamming, phishing, malware, or other forms of abusive activities. The result is less than 1% abuse in the entire .xyz zone, and a lower abuse score than well-established domain extensions like .com, .net, .info, .biz, and .us, according to Spamhaus.
As the most popular new domain in over 80 countries, it has been very encouraging to watch new .xyz websites launching every day from all parts of the world. To help inspire others, we write a profile on at least one of our favorite .xyz use cases every week in our #WebsiteWednesday blog series, which we started in 2014. Since Q3 of this year alone, we have featured roughly 40 .xyz end users, such as:
Rascali.xyz – a virtual reality content studio in the US
Intorno.xyz – a 3D music production company in Spain
Multilanguage.xyz – a popular Weebly translation app from Argentina
DoverStreet.xyz – an award-winning production company in the UK
Mixxer.xyz – a graphic design studio in the Netherlands
Scroll down to see more use cases or visit www.gen.xyz/ww
As the go-to domain extension for the next generation of internet users, China has always been one of the most important markets for .xyz. We have made a substantial investment to expand in China by bringing on a team of fluent Mandarin-speakers led by Mason Zhang, forming our WFOE, acquiring our Chinese Business License, and opening a local office for our Chinese entity, Beijing XYZ Technology Co. LTD. Additionally, XYZ is the only foreign registry operator to pass technical testing and receive ICANN approval to operate in China. With accreditation expected soon, we are projecting an even higher growth rate in 2017.
Looking ahead to next year, XYZ will continue to invest millions of dollars combined through innovative marketing channels directly and with our registrar partners.
My mission is to become the #1 overall domain in every market. As our partners will attest to, the XYZ Team proactively seeks out new win-win opportunities by leveraging our creative team, financial resources, and passionate followers. With cash-in-hand, we are expanding the scope of our marketing campaigns while also looking to acquire more domain extensions, which in turn will generate more cash flow for XYZ to invest in growing .xyz.
The growth seen in .xyz and our other domains in 2016 is just beginning. Any registrars, resellers, or registries who would like to discuss potential deals are encouraged to contact us.
The next generation of the internet is here.
January – October 2016 #WebsiteWednesday profiles
- Rascali.xyz – a virtual reality content studio in the US
- Intorno.xyz – a 3D music production company in Spain
- Hikers.xyz – Ian Clark’s hiking journal
- Lisn.xyz – a music sharing app in India
- NPDM.xyz – a student’s design portfolio
- Converge.xyz – an informational resource for BMG’s clients
- Echoes.xyz – augmented reality audio tours in Vietnam
- Fungogo.xyz – a social travel planner in Taiwan
- Multilanguage.xyz – a popular Weebly translation app from Argentina
- NotebookAndEarth.xyz – a travel journal for 3 adventurers from Azerbaijan
- Dino.xyz – a Slack plugin to showcase your work culture
- Comuzi.xyz – a digital design firm in the UK
- JLin.xyz – the personal site of a creative individual
- LetsMath.xyz – an online learning platform for Generation Z
- DoverStreet.xyz – an award-winning production company in the UK
- BambangYusuf.xyz – a web designer in Indonesia
- V-M-C.xyz – a music entertainment agency in Indonesia
- CycleFeed.xyz – a cycling blog and podcast in Canada
- OpenJC.xyz – a nonprofit in Jersey City
- AxisGroup.xyz – a design studio in Argentina
- Rodrigo.xyz – a Brazilian web developer’s personal site
- Mixxer.xyz – a graphic design studio in the Netherlands
- Epitome.xyz – a guide to Greece
- Voce.xyz – a street art installation in Germany
- Faceboard.xyz – an e-learning platform from South Africa
- JonathanItakpe.xyz – a personal site for a developer in Nigeria
- Devloops.xyz – an app developer in Egypt
- SpinWild.xyz – a digital marketing firm in Taiwan
- Percipio.xyz – a VR camera manufacturer in China
- Sling.xyz – an Israeli wearable payment – recently acquired for over $10 million USD
- Empati.xyz – a nonprofit in Turkey
- Hussam.xyz – an entrepreneur in UAE
- Playground.xyz – an advertising agency in Australia
- JulesDelaveau.xyz – a graphic designer in New Zealand
- MusicTalks.xyz – an audio discovery platform from Australia
- Practice.xyz – a learning platform that rebranded from ApprenNet.com
- Simpa.xyz – an independent medical practice specializing in primary care
- TheGoodLife.xyz – a charitable apparel company
- PeterCochrane.xyz – the portfolio of a California-based photographer
- Resl.xyz – the portfolio of artist and designer, Moritz Resl
- FeldOfPlay.xyz – a multifaceted product and graphic design studio
- Levalet.xyz – main site of a popular French street artist
- Liucid.xyz – an artistic journal of thoughts by Ann Liu
- Tantrum.xyz – a lifestyle blog for modern parents
- AllisonLaw.xyz – an American’s travel blog
- Throne.xyz – a news source and marketplace for streetwear
- Dabble.xyz – an innovative dating app
- Feed.xyz – a digital marketing studio in London
- BrakeTheCycle.xyz – an adventure club of cycling enthusiasts
- Fathom.xyz – an IoT company specializing in location emitting Bluetooth beacons
- ThatStore.xyz – a Japanese clothing store
- Jagzzi.xyz – an online fashion and lifestyle magazine in Tokyo
- Kisaburo.xyz – a dedicated website for Kisaburo’s fashion line
- Activatr.xyz – a startup incubator in Germany
- Milk.xyz – a New Yorked-based popculture site
- Dreamr.xyz – a music discovery platform
- Maybe.xyz – a creative new shopping app
- Exponentials.xyz – a technology hub founded by Deloitte
- Rise.xyz – an HR software platform that rebranded from PaySavvy.com
- GadgetDaily.xyz – the official website of Gadget Magazine
- GetSerendipity.xyz – a free professional networking service
- Starship.xyz – robotic delivery technology invented by the founders of Skype
- Boomerang.xyz – a family-friendly banking solution
- DoTell.xyz – a social messaging platform
- Lune.xyz – a VR marketing agency in Poland
One thought on “FACT: .XYZ Outsold .COM by Over 1 Million Names in June”
I don’t own many just 4 .xyz